Popular rapper Lanre Fasasi aka Sound Sultan died on Sunday July 11, 2021.
He lost the battle to throat cancer in far-away USA.
Here are facts about Sound Sultan you should know:
- Sound Sultan was born Olanrewaju Fasasi on November 27, 1976.
- He was a rapper, singer, songwriter, actor, comedian and recording artist regarded as one of the pacesetters of modern hip hop music in Nigeria.
- He released his first single “Jagbajantis” in 2000, which was a hit in Nigeria after independently releasing other singles and featuring in hit songs of other artists
- He was signed under Kennis Music, where he released four albums.
- His contract with Kennis Music expired in 2007, after which he partnered with Baba Dee to start Naija Ninjas, a parent organisation for a record label, production outfit and clothing line.
- Under Naija Ninjas, he released Back from the Future (2010) and signed artists such as Karma Da Rapper, Young GreyC, Shawn and Black.
- Sound Sultan began a working relationship with Wyclef Jean, featuring alongside 2face Idibia and Faze on “Proud to be African” from Wyclef’s welcome to Haiti: Creole 101 album. They have collaborated on two other projects: “King of My Country” (2009) and “People Bad” (2012).
- In 2009, Sound Sultan married his long-term girlfriend Chichi Morah, now known as Farida Fasasi from Igbo ethnic group.
- The couple has three children.
- In 2012, he was made a UN Ambassador for Peace for his exemplary lifestyle and career.
- In 2015, Sound Sultan released the rap single “Remember” after a long absence from the music scene.
- On May 12, 2021, It was reported Sound Sultan is somewhere was receiving treatment in the form of chemotherapy in America as the musician was reportedly diagnosed with throat cancer.