Featured maritime Transport

Truck operators threaten to withdraw services over alleged extortion

Truck Operators at the Tincan Island Port have threatened to withdraw services while giving the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) one week to address the challenges associated with the electronic call-up system.

 The truck operators who expressed their grievances about the anomalies in the system through series of protests, which commenced on Monday, alleged that the process was fraught with fraud and extortions.

 They also alleged multiple extortions by security agencies deployed to monitor the free flow of vehicular movement along the corridor, especially at night.

  Coordinator of the truck operators at Tin Can port, Sylvester Keshinro, said the NPA accredited holding bays have been charging the truckers exorbitant fees to enter the truck parks

 According to him, operators of designated holding bays charge the truckers as high as N180, 000 after the expiration of the 48 hour access time.

 He also claimed that the security operatives along the Mile 2/Sunrise road have been thorns on the flesh of the truck drivers.

 Keshinro, who doubles as a chieftain of the Road Transport Employers Association of Nigerian (RTEAN), said trucks were forced to make U-turn at Sunrise, a few kilometres away from the port despite being issued call-up tallies.

Related posts

Tinubu: massive spending way out of economic crisis

Our Reporter

National Museum partners Total, NNPC on how to effect wrongful use of social media

By Meletus EZE

Low oil prices: Expert tasks FG on prudent spending

Our Reporter

National grid collapsed twice to 10MW, 33MW last week – FG report

Our Reporter

Sokoto disburses N7.4m medical assistance to needy

Editor

Private sector growth in Nigeria slowed in June – Report

Our Reporter